Sunday, October 16, 2011

Riding the Fence

Today in Sunday school, an interesting point was brought up. Mr.Sullivan highlighted a contrast between how the church world once saw things and how it does now. He used a metaphor of a fence with the "world" being on the left side of it; the "world" represents living life without Christ, disregarding his commandments, and all-around not exemplifying His character. Mr.Sullivan remembered a time when he was younger and how church members would build their houses as far as possible from the left side, and consequently, from the fence. He spoke on how today's church members enjoy to have their houses planted right along the edge of the fence with a big "bay window" overlooking the world.

What a powerful metaphor this is. It made me do some major introspection. Not that I'm doing something wrong or living in sin, but what about the mainstream music I listen to? What about the movies I watch with cussing in them? Do I think the Savior who suffered and died to make me pure and holy like Him approves? Where is the line exactly drawn? I earnestly believe that if we love Christ like we say we do, then we will run from that fence. I know that the love of Christ compels me to hate sin. I want the same sensitivity of all things spiritual to permeate my mind, habits, thoughts, and actions daily.

James 1:15
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

James 4:7-8
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee.
Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment