Monday, October 17, 2011

Colossians 1:1-1




I've decided to do a verse-by-verse study of the book of Colossians. I was recommended to do so by an old mentor of mine that I've known personally for around 6 years. I want to not only intake the word of God but also digest it.

1Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
 2To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
 3We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
 4Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
 5For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
 6Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
 7As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;
 8Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.
 9For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
 10That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
 11Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
12Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:


In the first couple of verses, we see an attitude that Paul displays towards the Corinthians. I believe that by studying how he treats other Christians can see what true tact, wisdom, and spiritual maturity should look like from our leaders in Christ and from ourselves. First, I notice that we refers to them as brothers. I find personal comfort that we, the body of Christ, are connected in such a close fraternity. He makes them feel like they're important in verse 3; how crucial is it that we make the people under our leadership feel important. I like how he celebrates their conversion in verse 4 and how he has his eyes on the final prize in verse 5. Verse 6 is big. It is interesting to me that he adds a little sliver of accountability to what he says. He mentions fruit. How much fruit am I demonstrating in my life? I know that healthy fruits cause for the reproduction of the organism. I need to pray for more open doors to witness and to have the spiritual sensitivity to know when and how to witness. Verse 7 attributes to the all-too-often underplayed pillar of disciplineship in the church world. Wow my denomination is lacking in that. I wonder what I can to do either encourage leaders to view this in a new perspective or if I can try to discipline someone personally. In verse 9, I see something else that is SO vital in the church world: community. There is a reason why we go to church and don't just pray and worship at home. I believe it is for that uplifting of each other. God designed it that way. We all know a two-fold cord is not easily broken. Imagine what a church in complete unified community would be capable of accomplishing. Verse 10 is where it really gets good. I pray that I am walking worthy to be called a son of the Most High God. I hope that my words, my actions, my attitudes reflect well on His image. I hope my life is attracting people to the gospel and not repelling them. More fruit is mentioned; that must be important. It is an indicator of spiritual healthy I believe: fruit of the Spirit and sinners saved. Next point, he says that he hopes they are increasing in the knowledge of God. This is "anti-stagnant" to me; I want to continually be learning more about the Jesus I love so much.  Lastly, Paul gives thanks to the Father and talks about an inheritance that we can be looking forward to. This is really an uplifting opening part of a letter. It makes me excited to continue reading. I love zeal when it comes to serving God. It seems so appropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment